2016 Harley-Davidson® XL 883N Iron
Aggressive throwback styling taken to a place altogether new. No need to shine this machine. Just get on and tear up the nearest street.
- A great leap forward in the dark arts.: It was one of the early Dark Custom™ motorcycles. A dark pioneer of raw, blacked-out, stripped-down custom aggression. So the question was: how do you make something that good better? Here’s the answer. You build on it. All new suspension. A new rolled leather seat. Jaw dropping new pipes and wheels. All the details dialed in tight. The all-new Iron 883™ motorcycle. Welcome to the state of the Dark Custom™ motorcycle art.
- Authentic Styling: When the first Sportster motorcycle roared onto the scene in 1957 the world had never seen anything like it. Rawboned, powerful and looking for action. The styling cues that lit up the street in those early years would soon become a part of everything from race bikes to outlaw choppers as they spread throughout the motorcycling world. Take a look at the offering for 2016 and one thing becomes instantly clear. The best way to get the style that made the Sportster motorcycle famous is to get a Sportster motorcycle of your own. The narrow frame is more agile than ever. The rumbling V-Twin and muscular front end feel more powerful than ever. The flawless steel and jewel-like fuel tank reveal their authentic American motorcycle roots in every inch of detail.
- Iconic Engine: The Evolution engine riding in the nimble Sportster frame is a prime example of the power, durability and proven reliability The Motor Company was built on. Born from the legendary Shovelhead and Ironhead engines, it’s been the power at the center of a Sportster motorcycle since 1984. Its overhead valve design and four-cam gear train have their roots in the company’s race program, and you know it when you feel the surge of brute torque that accompanies every twist of the throttle. The air-cooled V-Twin design with a compact one-piece crankcase/transmission fits the narrow Sportster profile like a fist in a fingerless glove. We began with a strong, trouble-free design. Then gave it constant refinement to bring us to the modern powerplant of today. A testament to the unwavering hunger for advancement in motor technology that has always driven Harley-Davidson.
- Technology: What the eye sees and the rider feels on a Sportster motorcycle goes deep beneath the surface. Which is where you’ll find some our latest technology hard at work. The immaculate styling is due in part to an integrated electrical system that reduces wiring harnesses, switches, relays and fuses. The new seats throughout the Sportster line are built out of 21 century materials to feel plush and look minimalist at the same time. The new suspension systems are a marvel, with cartridge damping up front and an adjustable cartridge emulsion system in back. The one thing you won’t find on a Sportster motorcycle is any gizmos. Technology is there for one reason and one reason only. To make the motorcycle even more honest, enduring and satisfying for the rider.
- Handling: The street is the home turf of the Sportster motorcycle, and a narrow, agile frame wrapped around a strong V-Twin engine has always been its calling card. To see how far we’ve taken this basic equation, get in the saddle of any 2016 Sportster model. Trust us, the list of constant innovations and refinements you experience on the Sportster motorcycle of today is more than you want to read about here. The latest innovation is a complete new suspension on every model, with cartridge emulsion rear shocks and a screw adjuster to further dial in the handling. It all feels tight and right, bringing confidence to the ride and a grin to the rider. Whether you’re rocketing to the next stoplight, threading through the urban grid, or busting out of the city limits to parts unknown.
- Comfort: You might look at the raw-boned style of a Sportster motorcycle and not immediately think of comfort. That would be a mistake. Sink into the seat of any 2016 Sportster model and you discover a premium ride hidden under all the lean and mean styling. The engine is rubber-mounted to the frame, so you feel all the power of an Evolution V-Twin but none of the vibrations. The handlebar hits your fists and the pegs hit your boots just the way they should. Even better, we’ve made improving comfort for the Sportster rider our marching orders for 2016. There are new seats and suspensions throughout the line. There’s even a wrench tucked inside the seat to adjust the rear suspension exactly the way you like it. These are some of the most versatile motorcycles to ever hit the street. Making each hour of riding feel better than the one that came before is a big part of the reason why.
- Classic Peanut Fuel Tank: As one of the defining features of Harley-Davidson® Sportster® models for decades, the classic 3.3 gallon tapered peanut fuel tank still holds strong today with its traditional styling and modern attitude. Following the line of the bike from front to back, the peanut tank angles down just right into the solo Sportster seat. Attitude and looks all balled up into one.
- Drag-Style Handlebar: The low-rise, slammed black drag-style handlebar and black finish hand controls add to the stripped down, minimal look of the Iron 883™ motorcycle. Born at the drag strip, the drag-style handlebar is an old-school garage feature that puts you in a forward, aggressive riding position.
- Hard Candy Custom™ Paint: Hard Candy Custom™ paint is a large metal flake finish that’s more than just paint job, it’s a shining declaration of independence—bright, bold and unique. If you'd like to have your Iron 883™ motorcycle dripping with even more custom attitude and unruly style, finish it off with optional Hard Candy Custom™ Gold Flake paint. This is big, bold metal flake paint laid down the old school way, with layer upon layer of hand-sanded clear coat. It'll put even more dark magic on your tank and fenders.
- New Blacked Out Look: The theme here is simple. If there’s some fun to be had in this world, it’s best found under the cover of darkness. So we built a machine as dark as a total eclipse. Black is the primary color of the Iron 883™ motorcycle, and we’re not shy about laying it on in spades. You’ve got a black powder-coated 883cc engine with black rocker covers. Black on the throwback round air cleaner cover. Black chopped fenders, to show off a little rubber. Black front forks with gators to add a little old-school nostalgia. Black oil tank cover, belt guard and drag bars. And black cast aluminum wheels with a machined look that brings together the look of rebel motorcycle cultures past and present. It’s the perfect poster bike of the anti-chrome movement.
- Side-Mounted License Plate: True to the clean, fast lines of the bike, the side-mounted license plate leaves the rear fender surface smooth and uncluttered. Minimal and unique—every inch of the Iron 883™ motorcycle is styled to perfection to achieve a raw, custom look.
- Stop-Turn-Tail Lights: Old-school looks meet new-school engineering. Black, retro-style bullet taillights combine functionality to work twice as hard—stop beams and running lights plus turn indicators in two low-profile rear lamps. This eliminates the need for extra lights, creating a clean, minimal look.
- New Bullet Hole Design Details: The bullet hole design details on the belt guard, exhaust header shield and front fender come straight out of this bike’s hard-riding past. They take you back to the days when bobber fanatics drilled “lightening holes” in the metal parts to shave off weight and give their machines a little extra speed to stay ahead of trouble.
- New Eagle & Shield Tank Graphic: Every generation deserves its own eagle. The Founding Fathers had one to look up to while they were busy inventing the freedoms that make this country great. Our grandfathers inked them on their forearms when they marched off to war. So we designed an eagle with a look all its own to adorn the tank of the Iron 883™ motorcycle. We even added a shield in its talons, because when it comes to freedom we’re not giving an inch.
- New Street Inspired Paint: The street is the home turf of the Iron 883™ motorcycle, so we created paint jobs to match. Colors that look right against the backdrop of the urban grid, and don’t need a lot of maintenance. These are tough finishes as mean as the meanest street. No need to pamper them in the suburban garage with its attached garden hose and bucket of warm soapy suds or waste good riding time wearing out your elbows trying to keep it all spit shined. Just ride. Park. Repeat.
- Evolution® Engine: The Evolution® engine—known in certain crowds as the Blockhead—was first bolted to the frame of a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle back in 1984. Born from legendary Shovelhead and Ironhead engines, the Evolution® engine broke new ground in displacement innovation while maintaining the hunger for power, durability and proven reliability that The Motor Company was built on.
- Pure Blacked Out Harley-Davidson Styling: Feast your eyes on the 883cc Evolution® engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. Right in the center: a throwback round air cleaner cover, stamped out of steel and covered in gloss black. Surrounding it you have black powder-coated cylinders, cylinder heads and rocker covers to complete the dark look, while chrome pushrods highlight the iconic V-Twin shape. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. The 883cc Evolution® engine makes an ironclad statement about holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies the rider.
- Evolution® Engine Innovation: Air-cooled and durable as hell, the 883cc Evolution® engine is yet another nod to the unwavering work ethic that drives advancements in motor technology at Harley-Davidson. Aluminum heads and cylinders lighten the load of the bike and improve air-cooling efficiency. Electronic fuel injection says goodbye to carburetors and boasts increased reliability and less routine maintenance. Bottom line: the rubber-mounted Evolution® engine runs hard and rides smooth for thousands of miles so you can just worry about taking in the freedom of the boulevards and back streets.
- Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS) (Optional): When the burrito exit comes out of nowhere, you’ll need a little extra braking power. That’s why optional anti-lock brakes (ABS) are on all Sportster® models. ABS improves overall braking performance, and keeps you from locking up under heavy braking. Plus, the entire system is smartly integrated into the design of the bike, so nothing gets in the way of your steel work of art. Because what’s the point of stopping if you can’t make a few heads turn?
- Ergonomic Hand Controls: If your hands feel good on the controls you’ll feel good on the bike. Which is why when you twist the throttle of a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle, you just know. You feel more dialed in, comfortable and attuned to the road and everything around you. In designing these hand controls we went the extra mile to make sure every operation is as intuitive, fluid and effortless as possible. So you can keep your eyes on what’s around the next corner and not what’s under your thumb. Things like self-canceling turn signals that are right where you want them to be and brake levers that are easy for all riders to reach. We’ve added other features, too, like a trip switch and vehicle “start” switch as all Sportster models are keyless. Details that may seem small but make a huge difference on the road. Because it’s tiny things like these that make a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- H-D® Smart Security System (Optional): The factory-installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle's electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to detail and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Tach and Gear Indicator Readout: Even though none of us would want to admit it, from time to time, we've all had to kick our shift lever back down to 1 to figure out what gear we were in. The Sportster® models get a speedometer with a gear indicator readout and a tachometer you can activate with your trip switch. Now you've got all the information you need to keep it in the power band at the touch of a finger.
- Closed Loop Exhaust System: Designed to meet future worldwide emissions standards and the standards of future generations of Harley-Davidson® motorcycle riders. This closed loop exhaust system delivers heart-pounding performance in the key of the trademark Harley-Davidson rumble. With its robust, soul-stirring big twin design, durable mufflers with exhaust shields, a catalyst and mini heated oxygen sensors that improve emissions and drivability, this system is not only better for the environment, it makes riding better.
- Foundation Brake System: Like riding itself, you can never go too far when it comes to a bike’s brakes. This is why we went the distance to make the brake system of each Sportster® model a shining example of performance, fit and finish. You have 300mm brake rotors and a powerful, stylized front caliper with 34mm pistons and stylized rear caliper to match. Other system features include an improved all-aluminum integrated rear master cylinder with reservoir, all-aluminum front master cylinder with reduced friction and higher efficiency, and stainless steel braided lines. It all adds up to more confidence on the road and more power and predictability when you squeeze the brakes.
- Integrated Electrical System: Coursing through every Sportster® model is a body controller with updated routing. It has a cleaner look and reduces the number of wiring harnesses, switches, relays and fuses. Which is a fancy way of saying less fuss. We’ve also added a voltage regulator with modified fins and integrated connectors to improve heat rejection. Like you, the Sportster® motorcycles are wired and ready to chase wind and eat up miles of pavement.
- New Floating Brake Rotor: We updated the floating brake rotor with a blacked out finish to complement the aggressive look of the cast and machined wheel. One more way the Iron 883™ motorcycle looks aggressive, even when it’s standing still.
- Michelin® Scorcher™ Tires: Michelin® Scorcher™ tires provide the superior performance, sensational grip, impressive durability and excellent handling expected on a race-bred bike. The exclusive deep-cut tread design improves grip and water evacuation capability. Grip performance and durability is also enhanced by the tire's rubber compounds, which use the latest generation of Michelin synthetic polymers.
- New Low Seat & Slammed Suspension: The combination of a lowered front and rear suspension together with a low, narrow solo seat—just 25.7 inches high—provides comfort and confidence for riders of all sizes and experience. The ride is responsive and plush, whether you're dodging urban potholes or leaving the city limits behind for a day out exploring the back roads.
- New Machined 9-Spoke Wheels: To get things rolling on the latest Iron 883™ design we went with a 9-spoke design. The wheels are black-as night where the rim meets the rubber, set off by a more contemporary mechanical look machined into the spokes. It’s a no-nonsense look rooted in our Sportster® wheel from the early nineties, if you like to keep track of that sort of thing. We’d suggest you simply enjoy the way they look roaring out of the nearest dark alley.
- New Tuck and Roll Seat: Throw a leg over the solo seat on the Iron 883™ motorcycle and you’ll wonder how anything that looks this tough as nails can feel so good on day spent tearing up the streets. This is an authentic “tuck and roll” design inspired by the early days of the bobber, then given the thoroughly modern comfort you expect on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- Mid-Mount Controls: Let your boots fall where they may, naturally to the mid-mounted controls and rider foot pegs on the Iron 883™ model. An easy reach and tight rider triangle is confidence-inspiring for new riders eager to set off on their journey and riders whose legs run slightly shorter than others.
- New Emulsion Rear Shock with Screw Adjuster: The urban infrastructure isn’t getting any smoother, so we upgraded the rear suspension throughout the Sportster® family. We went with an Emulsion rear shock with screw pre-load adjuster. It not only works overtime to soak up every bump the street throws your way, it also adjusts to fit your riding style. Simply turn the screw and you have a rear suspension set up to ride as aggressively as you want to take it.
- New Front Fork with Cartridge Dampening: Good as the Iron 883™ motorcycle looks parked in front of the local watering hole, it is first and foremost a member of the Harley-Davidson® Sportster® family and that means it’s not built to sit still for long. We’ve been busy upgrading the ride of every Sportster® model, beginning with a brawny fork with cartridge dampening up front. It keeps the handling crisp and confident, no matter how rough or winding the road ahead.
- Length: 85.8 in. (2,180 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 25.7 in. (653 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 28.9 in. (735 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.3 in. (110 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 30
- Trail: 4.6 in. (117 mm)
- Wheelbase: 59.6 in. (1,510 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: 100/90B19 57H
- Tires, Rear Specification: 150/80B16 77H
- Fuel Capacity: 3.3 gal. (12.5 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 2.8 qt. (2.6 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 540 lb. (245 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 562 lb. (255 kg)
- Engine: Air-cooled, Evolution®
- Bore: 3 in. (76.2 mm)
- Stroke: 3.811 in. (96.8 mm)
- Displacement: 53.9 cu in. (883 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 34/57 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 10.41
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 7.436
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 5.531
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 4.584
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.931
- Exhaust: Chrome, staggered shorty exhaust with dual mufflers
- Wheels, Front Type: Black 9 Spoke with Machined Highlights
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black 9 Spoke with Machined Highlights
- Brakes, Caliper Type: Dual-piston front, Dual-piston rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 53.8 ft. lb. (73 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,750
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 27
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 28
- Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy: 51 mpg (4.6 l/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, low fuel warning, low battery, security system (optional)
- Gauges: Handlebar-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock, dual tripmeter, low fuel warning light, low oil pressure light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights
- Engine Type
- 53.9 cu in. (883 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3 in. (76.2 mm) x 3.811 in. (96.8 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- Rear Brakes
- Front Tire
- 100/90B19 57H
- Rear Tire
- 150/80B16 77H
- 59.6 in. (1,510 mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 25.7 in. (653 mm); Unladen: 28.9 in. (735 mm)
- 4.6 in. (117 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 3.3 gal. (12.5 L)
- 51 mpg (4.6 l/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 540 lb. (245 kg)
- Olive Gold, Charcoal Denim, Black Denim