2012 Harley-Davidson® XL1200V
- Evolution® Engine Heritage: The Evolution® engine—known in certain crowds as the Blockhead—was first bolted to the frame of a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle back in 1984. Born from legendary Shovelhead and Ironhead engines, the Evolution® engine broke new ground in displacement innovation while maintaining the hunger for power, durability and proven reliability that The Motor Company was built on.
- Evolution® Engine Innovation: Air-cooled and durable as hell, the 1200cc Evolution® engine is yet another nod to the unwavering work ethic that drives advancements in motor technology at Harley-Davidson. Aluminum heads and cylinders lighten the load of the bike and improve air-cooling efficiency. Electronic fuel injection says goodbye to carburetors and boasts increased reliability and less routine maintenance. Bottom line: the rubber-mounted Evolution® engine runs hard and rides smooth for thousands of miles so you can just worry about taking in the freedom of the open road.
- Pure Harley-Davidson Styling: Feast your eyes on the 1200cc Evolution® engine and there's no mistaking its roots. This is authentic Harley-Davidson style through and through with an attention to detail you won't find from any other motorcycle company. Black powder-coated cylinders and cylinder heads are topped off with chrome rocker covers and an old school round air cleaner cover for a tough vintage Harley-Davidson attitude. It's a jewel machined out of metal. Pure. Dripping with power. From the classic edge of the cooling fins to the clean lines of cases and covers—the 1200c Evolution® engine makes an ironclad statement to holding on to what's right and staying true to what satisfies the rider.
- Artfully Hidden Technology: Harley-Davidson® leverages the latest in technology without compromising style and function. That means we hide electronics. The whole wiring harness is skillfully routed behind the jewels of the bike—the tank, engine and all the other eye-popping features you want to see. It's just another way The Motor Company goes the extra mile to give its bikes that premium, top-of-the-line fit and finish.
- Intuitive Controls: Hand controls on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle are incredibly intuitive. The turn signals are self-canceling and, based on the speed and angle of the motorcycle, they know how long to stay on. Engaging the controls quickly becomes second nature so you can focus less on turning off your signal and more on basking in the freedom of the ride.
- H-D® Smart Security System (Optional): The factory installed next-generation security system features a hands-free fob that automatically arms and disarms the vehicle electronic security functions as you approach and walk away from the bike. Stick the fob on your ignition key ring and let it do all the work. It's this attention to details and security that make Harley-Davidson® motorcycles unique.
- Tuned to be Ridden: Harley-Davidson® motorcycles are different from any other bike out on the road. There's a balance to them. The steering, the maneuverability—it's all in concert. And each Harley-Davidson® model is tuned differently to create a unique riding experience for each individual no matter which bike they swing their leg over. Let's face it, we didn't get to where we are by being like everyone else.
- Forward Mounted Controls: With the custom forward-mounted controls, you can kick back a little and stretch your legs for the ultimate cruise through town or across the state line. It's time to take in the open road the way you were meant to—on a two-wheeled machine that's built to outdo the rest.
- Seat Engineering and Design: The seat is home for Harley-Davidson® motorcycle riders. They want a seat that has unique style without sacrificing comfort. Because of that, Harley-Davidson invests a lot of time in researching, designing and testing seats so that every bike has just the right saddle.
- Length: 89.4 in. (2,270 mm)
- Seat Height, Laden: 26.6 in. (675 mm)
- Seat Height, Unladen: 28 in. (710 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 4.7 in. (119 mm)
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 30.1
- Trail: 5.3 in. (135 mm)
- Wheelbase: 60 in. (1,524 mm)
- Tires, Front Specification: MH90-21 54H
- Tires, Rear Specification: 150/80B16 71H
- Fuel Capacity: 2.1 gal. (7.9 L)
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 2.8 qt. (2.6 L)
- Weight, As Shipped: 545 lb. (247.2 kg)
- Weight, In Running Order: 555 lb. (251.7 kg)
- Engine: Air-cooled, Evolution®
- Bore: 3.5 in. (88.9 mm)
- Stroke: 3.812 in. (96.8 mm)
- Displacement: 73.3 cu in (1,200 cc)
- Compression Ratio: 9.7:1
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Primary Drive: Chain, 57/38 Ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) 1st: 9.315
- Gear Ratios (overall) 2nd: 6.653
- Gear Ratios (overall) 3rd: 4.948
- Gear Ratios (overall) 4th: 4.102
- Gear Ratios (overall) 5th: 3.517
- Exhaust: Chrome, staggered exhaust with slash-cut mufflers
- Wheels, Front Type: Chrome Steel Laced
- Wheels, Rear Type: Chrome Steel Laced
- Brakes, Caliper Type: Dual-piston front, single-piston rear
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 73 ft-lb (99 Nm)
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,500
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 28.6
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 29.8
- Fuel Economy: Combined City/Hwy 6: 48 mpg (4.9 L/100 km)
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, low fuel warning, low battery, security system (optional)
- Gauges: Handlebar-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock, dual tripmeter, low fuel warning light, low oil pressure light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights
- Retro Air Cleaner Cover: This 8-inch, street legal, mirror-chrome air cleaner cover makes a powerful statement that recalls the glory days of old iron crossed with a clean, contemporary look.
- Whitewall Tires and Laced Wheels: Large (21-inch front) lace-spoked wheels with their bold brilliant white walls complete the old school low-rider look.
- Big Flake Paint (Optional): This radical, eye-catching tank paint recalls the radical style of '70s choppers and shouts one-of-a-kind custom—but coming straight from Harley-Davidson®, you know it's nothing but pure premium-quality craftsmanship.
- Classic Peanut Fuel Tank: First appearing on a Harley-Davidson® motorcycle back in 1948, the small 2.1 gallon tapered peanut fuel tank holds strong today with its traditional styling and modern attitude. A low, powerful bulldog look that gives way for showcasing more engine, the peanut fuel tank is attitude and looks all balled up into one.
- Mini-Ape Hanger Handlebar: Grab ahold of the stainless steel mini-ape hanger handlebar and put your fists up into the wind--it'll take you back to the glory days of chopper cruising. And to keep the look cool and clean, the wiring is routed inside the steel.
- Classic Rear—Modern Functionality: The chopped rear fender with side-mounted plate completes the Seventy-Two model's long, low chopper look and keeps things classically clean and raw. The chrome bullet taillights combine this old school retro-styling with new school technology, packing stop beams, turn signals and running lights into each lamp.
- Engine Type
- 73.3 cu in (1,200 cc)
- Bore and Stroke
- 3.5 in. (88.9 mm) x 3.812 in. (96.8 mm)
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Brakes
- Dual-piston caliper
- Rear Brakes
- Single-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- MH90-21 54H
- Rear Tire
- 150/80B16 71H
- 60 in. (1,524 mm)
- Seat Height
- Laden: 26.6 in. (675 mm); Unladen: 28 in. (710 mm)
- 30.1 deg.
- 5.3 in. (135 mm)
- Fuel Capacity
- 2.1 gal. (7.9 L)
- 48 mpg (4.9 L/100 km)
- Dry Weight
- 545 lb. (247.2 kg)
- Final Drive
- Chain, 57/38 Ratio
- Standard: Digital
- Black Denim, Big Blue Pearl
- 2 year unlimited mileage